Thursday, April 9, 2009

Trip to Gaylord

Addison and I went to Gaylord a couple weeks ago to visit my sister and my aunt Val.  I'll update on Val in a minute.  Addison LOVES playing with her cousins, and her and Liam get along well.  We took the kids to see the deer and elk right down the road from my sister's house.  We will have to go again someday when it is warmer and Addie is in a better mood.



Now for an update on my aunt Val.  She was moved from St. Mary's in Saginaw up to Gaylord Tendercare back in the middle of January.  She has improved greatly since being in the hospital.  My mom is now her legal guardian and is there with her quite frequently.  I get up there as often as I can.  Val is showing small improvements everyday....baby steps.  We know it will be a long recovery, and only God knows what the extent of her recovery will be.  Val continues to comunicate by blinking or rolling her eyes, she can move her legs a little(not sure if it's voluntary or not), and she can make vocal sounds when they deflate her trach.  I was there while they did this once, and it's hard at first(and maybe a little scary) for Val.  She has to try to take breaths on her own, and when she calms down, she can 'talk'.  I'm sure she likes hearing her own voice again.  She tries to say words, and we can understand some of them.  We can also get her to laugh, which is very encouraging to all of us.  I took Addison in to see her and Val just smiled, I think the little ones brighten her day.  Praise God for baby steps, and please continue to pray.

4 comments:

The Johnston's said...

Laurie can I get copy's of some of those pictures?

Laurie said...

Sure Sarah!

Amanda Irene said...

Thanks for the update I wondered how she was doing. Thats so encouraging. And taking addie up there was the highlight of her week I am sure! Did I ever tell you my great grandma name was addie. Love that name!

chris k said...

I have been wondering about your Aunt Val. Baby steps are encouraging but I'm sure it's difficult for her and your mom. how is your mom holding up?