Friday, March 13, 2009

Graves' Disease

I've been diagnosed with Graves' Disease, which is really just a fancy name for hyperthyroidism, and is the most common form of it.  This occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks your thyroid gland and causes it to overproduce the hormone thyroxine.   So I am taking Tenorim to reduce my heart rate and Tapazole to slow down my thyroid.  My doctor is working on getting my into a endocrinologist in Saginaw.   Once my thyroid is under control, I can look into having the radioactive iodine treatment.  I have to continue to have regular blood work done, to monitor my thyroid and my liver.  Apparently, the meds(and thyroid) can have affect your liver, which is why I assume the pills are not a permanent treatment.  I asked for images of the scan that was taken of my thyroid, so I could post them, but no go.  I know, I'm a dork.  I'm still tired a lot, but am feeling a little improvement.  There is no known cause of this, but it does happen more frequently in women than men.

4 comments:

amber said...

Glad you're feeling a little improvement! Hopefully you'll be completely back to normal soon.

TraceyLD said...

See....I told you I was sick!

On the serious side. I'm glad they know what is wrong and that you can be treated so you will fill better.

Anonymous said...

Laurie,
Dean said you were not feeling well today. He sure was taking good care of Addison. We missed you at church and I pray you start feeling better and they get your medication started to help get this thing under control. ~Cathy

Amanda Irene said...

Well I am really glad to hear that its now working!