Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Operation Christmas Child

I heard about Operation Christmas Child (OCC) while listening to klove radio station. Basically, you buy small gifts for a boy/girl in a certain age group. Then pack it all in a shoebox and drop it off at one of the locations. I thought it would be fun and a good way to teach Addison about giving. She is two, so with that comes a lot of 'it's mine'. I talked to her before I brought out the toys and said that we were going to pack these little gifts in a box for a little girl her age who doesn't have a lot of toys like she does. I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't try to open or keep any of the gifts, or say it was hers. She kept telling me 'mommy it's for the little girl'. Melt my heart.

Here are the gifts we got for our shoebox. There is a list of ideas and how to pack your box.


Our box all packed with toys, stickers, crayons, hygiene items, hair bows, socks, a flashlight, and of course LOVE! The stuffed animal didn't fit, but they found a place for him too. We also included a picture of us, a note, and a picture Addison drew.


The closest drop off location for us was at Hopevale church. When we got there Addison thought we were actually giving our box to a little girl right then. I explained that this little girl lives far away and that they will mail it to her. I was even able to print a label with a bar code and can track where our box ends up. How cool is that? We both enjoyed doing this and are praying for the little girl who receives theses gifts. We pray that they will bring her joy and also come to learn about and know Jesus.

If you're interested in this project, here is a link for more information.
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/index/

3 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

I think this is a great idea! We did it with Owen too. We put our box together a few days ago and are dropping it off this Sunday at our church. I showed him a video about OCC and now he keeps talking about little kids who don't have a mommy, a daddy, toys or toothbrushes.

amber said...

How fun! Great teaching idea, Laurie! We did this with the MOPS group, but I wish I would've done it with the kids too so they could see it all going in the box!

Kara said...

I can't believe I missed this post! I'm sure she loved doing that. I want to know where your box ends up! Wouldn't that be freaky if it was the Ivory Coast....!!!