Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Picky Eater

Okay, so many of you know about my picky eating habits.  My diet basically consists of cheese, bread, and of course CHOCOLATE.  I have eaten like this my entire life.  My mom remembers having trouble getting me to eat even as a baby.  I would not, could not eat anything containing eggs or meat.  It just got worse from there.  My point is...we came across a show on the food network channel the other day about adult picky eaters.  Do you believe there are actually others out there like me!?! Well, there are, some aren't quite as picky as I am, but there are a few that actually like less than I do.  While watching the show, Dean said 'hey they are like you'! It was good for both of us to watch.  I don't feel so alone now in this respect, and I think Dean understands what it's like for me a little now, and that maybe, just maybe it's not just me being stubborn.  Some of these people actually have food phobias, some have gone to therapists, to try and find out why, and to even try to change the way they eat.   They taped the show at the first annual adult picky eaters convention.  Dean said he is going to send me next year.  I know it may sound corny to some of you, but I think it would be cool to go.  They all ate dinner together, with no one saying 'just try it, you might like it',  they didn't judge each other, and most of them just had grilled cheese and fries!  So, after the show, I got online and found their forum, www.pickyeatingadults.com.  Of course I signed up and started reading other's stories.  They all talk about how uncomfortable it is eating in public or at any social event, and how they try to avoid them, or make excuses for not eating.  I can totally relate.  Anyway, I am pretty excited about it.

12 comments:

Laurie said...

If anyone is interested here is the show on YouTube

My Life in Food Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoftoJu4vJo

My Life in Food Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIN4C1WY24

My Life in Food Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DanfYw4Bp7c

chris k said...

You are a picky eater? I knew I like you. I probably will some day turn into a chicken. If I go out to eat, I order chicken, almost always. Why? I don't know...it's safe. I don't want to hear the try it saying either. If I wanted to try it, guess what? I would! :)

Kelly Glupker said...

Just out of curiousity, was your doctor concerned about your diet while you were pregnant? Do you take a lot of vitamins to get all of your nutrients?

amber said...

jackson thinks your "diet" is cool! i bet it does feel good to find others you can relate to. i like you just the way you are!

Laurie said...

Chris k, let's do lunch. :)

Kelly, I did let my dr. know of my diet while I was pregnant, and she suggested beans, however I don't like them either. She was mostly concerned that I would gain too much weight because of the foods I do eat. I gained almost 50 pounds, but am now back to my previous weight. I was actually pretty good(for me) while I was pregnant. I ate a lot more fruit, peanut butter, nuts, and cheese for protein. I also I cut out my caffeine, and drank more water.

Anonymous said...

I saw that show, too! I liked their shirts that said "PEAS" for Picky Eater Adults S...society? I was amazed at the man who would not date because of it. They showed him on a date telling the woman and she didn't make a big deal out of it. That's the way it should be. A "friend of a friend" won't eat foods that touch on her plate. She has a hard time in restaurants.

Ellen

Laurie said...

Ellen, I don't like my food to touch either. The guy who wouldn't date pretty much lives on grilled cheese, I can relate to him too. I had grilled cheese on my prom date. Pretty much everyone I've dated has tried their hardest to change my eating habits...with no success. :)

Pam said...

Good for you Laurie! Way to find the support you need!!!
I'm glad that Dean "gets you". We all need that one person that we can totally be ourselves with no questions with.
I watched that show too and I have to admidt I thought of you. I also thought of my own Little James who is fast becoming an adult picky eater, rather than just a picky child.
i'd love to hear stories of you going to the convention :)

Amanda Irene said...

Sounds like fun!!!

Eating is hard in some way for most people. I HATE wartermellon! Emma and casey LOVE watermellon. MMMmm cheese. I will always sit next to you and eat cheese!!

Anonymous said...

i am a picky eater as well and i dont eat meat, vegetables, fish, chicken, pasta etc. and i am worried about the health of my child when i get pregnant...is your child a picky eater as well?

Laurie said...

Anonymous,
My now 3 year old baby eats better than I do. She will eat chicken, ketchup, cucumbers, ranch dressing, corn, spaghetti, hotdogs, potatoes, eggs, etc. All things I will not eat. I do my best not to say things like 'I don't like it'. I tell her I don't want any instead. I let her try anything that is offered/available. She eats like a pretty typical 3 year old. Now that she's older I know she notices that there are things I won't eat, but she already likes things too much to change her mind. :) Oh, and she's healthy, except for the occasional childhood virus that goes around. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

That is so great to hear! I am like you and will not eat any of that but if my child does, it will be a miracle. thank you =] I hope your daughter continues to eat good foods and stays a happy, healthy girl.